The Truth About Sex Before Marriage
What Is the Purpose of a Sexual Relationship?
- Genesis 2:18 – ”The LORD God said, ‘It is not good for the man to be alone. I will make a helper suitable for him.’ ”
- Genesis 1:28 – “God blessed them and said to them, “Be fruitful and increase in number; fill the earth and subdue it.”
- Chaste Living
- “My wife and I gave each other a wedding gift that no one else could match. That was a gift that we never gave to anyone else. The gift was our virginity.”
- 1 Corinthians 7:2 – “But since there is so much immorality, each man should have his own wife, and each woman her own husband.”
Why Have Sex Only With My Spouse?
- Physical Union
- Genesis 2:24 – “For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and they will become one flesh.”
- Matthew 19:5,6 – “For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh. So they are no longer two, but one. Therefore what God has joined together, let man not separate.”
- Emotional Union
- Ephesians 5:22,25,28,33 – “Wives, submit to your husbands as to the Lord. Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her…In this same way, husbands ought to love their wives as their own bodies. He who loves his wife loves himself. After all, no one ever hated his own body, but he feeds and cares for it…For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh…However, each one of you also must love his wife as he loves himself, and the wife must respect her husband.”
“Nobody remembers the 27th time they had sex, or the 52nd time. But everyone remembers the first time. Make the first time special with your spouse!”
- Many couples don’t have a sexual relationship because they are afraid of getting AIDS or another sexually transmitted disease (STD). Others are afraid of getting pregnant. These are real fears. However, it is better to live your life of chastity because it is God’s desire for you. Keep your virginity as a special gift to your husband or wife on your wedding day.
God made sex a blessing to be shared by married couples. 1 Corinthians 7 gives a clear explanation that sex should be enjoyed between husband and wife. Because sex is so enjoyable, however, many couples feel they can find that pleasure before the commitment and promise of marriage. To abuse this blessing is missing the true joy that a sexual relationship can provide.
Make the promise to remain chaste in your life until you share that special gift with your spouse. Making this decision is not easy. You will be tempted to break your promise. It is right that you have sexual desires for someone you love. Remember the promise and the blessings of waiting. The joy of sharing yourself for the first time on your wedding night is worth the wait!
What If I Already Broke the Promise?
As with all sins, sexual sins are forgiven by God. God loves you with a true love that we try to follow in our relationships. Just as God is faithful with you, you should be faithful in your love. Live your life out of love for Him and follow His commands.
The world’s definition of love is often physical. God’s love is much deeper. Consider John 3:16: “For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.” This love is pure and perfect. With that perfect love for us, we will want to love Him too. Part of that love is to live pure and chaste lives.
Enjoy a life of chastity. Besides the blessings of freedom, respect, and control, you will save yourself as a wonderful gift for your lifetime mate.
© Christian Life Resources
This above text is from the Christian Life Resources brochure entitled, “The Truth About Sex Before Marriage” which is available in English and Spanish by clicking here.
January 8, 2005
January 8, 2006