God Alone Has the Right To Initiate and Terminate Life
Read the Following Passages:
Deuteronomy 32:39 See now that I myself am He! There is no god besides me. I put to death and I bring to life, I have wounded and I will heal, and no one on deliver out of my hand.
1 Samuel 2:6 The LORD brings death and makes alive; he brings down to the grave and raises up.
Genesis 4:1 Adam lay with his wife Eve, and she became pregnant and gave birth to Cain. She said, “With the help of the LORD I have brought forth a man.”
1 Samuel 1:20,27 So in the course of time Hannah conceived and gave birth to a son. She named him Samuel, saying, “Because I asked the LORD for him…I prayed for this child, and the LORD has granted me what I asked of him.”
Psalm 90:3 You turn men back to dust, saying, “Return to dust, O sons of men.”
Psalm 31:15 My times are in your hands; deliver me from my enemies and from those who pursue me.
2 Kings 5:7 As soon as the king of Israel read the letter, he tore his robes and said, “Am I God? Can I kill and bring back to Life? Why does this fellow send someone to me to be cured of his Leprosy? See how he is trying to pick a quarrel with me!”
Genesis 9:6 Whoever sheds the blood of man, by man shall his blood be shed; for in the image of God has God made man.
Deuteronomy 5:17 You shall not murder.
1. What power does God claim to have over life and death?
2. Discuss the role of birth control in light of God’s authorship over creating Life.
3. If God reserves for himself the right to end life is he a murderer?
4. In light of God’s right to take life, what part do we have in the decision-making concerning medical treatment for the ailing?
5. In the Old Testament God ties two biological events together as one. What two events?
6. In light of Luke 18:15 and Luke 1:41 how can we understand the New Testament attitude about when life begins?
7. In the context of Genesis 9:6 what is significant about God’s words concerning taking man’s life?
8. How did Luther summarize God’s teaching about the protection of human life?
Christian Life Resources