Tips to Prevent Elder Financial Abuse
Here are several important tips to help avoid becoming a victim of financial abuse:
- Involve people you trust in making important financial decisions.
- Use direct deposit for Social Security and other payments to prevent mail theft.
- Sign all of your own checks.
- Keep important papers and legal documents in a safe, secure place.
- Never give out your Social Security number over the telephone or on your computer.
- Keep your important legal documents (such as your power of attorney) updated.
- Do not share your important passwords with anyone.
- Hang up when a solicitor calls.
- Add your name and phone number to the National Do Not Call Registry by calling 1-888-382-1222.
- Be wary if you are asked by someone to change your will or add his or her name to your bank accounts or property title.
- Do not be afraid or embarrassed to discuss your concerns with a trusted individual. The situation could become worse if you do nothing.
- Do not trust any solicitation that sounds too good to be true — it probably is too good to be true!
April 3, 2018
May 4, 2018
September 9, 2018