Thoughts and Prayers for Selected Scripture Readings on Life
- David praises God for his all-seeing knowledge of us and for his marvelous creation of us.
- God is the Creator of life.
- All life is given by God, regardless of the circumstances (rape) or the condition (handicapped).
- All life is therefore sacred.
- Abortion is not merely destroying a mass of tissue, but it is the killing of a life that God has created.
- Since God knows each one of us so well, He also knows the sins we commit in secret. We cannot hide from God. The sins of adultery and abortion need to be repented of, not covered up.
PRAYER: Almighty and eternal God, who created this world and all of us in it, we thank you for the blessing of our life. And we thank You that You created us wonderfully. Lead all people everywhere to see Your work in the creation of life and to consider human life as sacred. Help us to stop the wanton destruction of newly created life in the mother’s womb. Protect and defend all to whom you give life until that day when you take their life from them again. Lead people everywhere to see the sin of abortion and all other sins and to recognize that they are under your wrath and punishment because of them. And then bring them to the precious knowledge of Your Son Jesus, so that they may have eternal life in His name. We ask this so that Your will may be done on this earth and that Your kingdom may come to all people.
- Ezekiel was given a responsibility to the wicked. That responsibility was not that he had to change the wicked, but warn them.
- God does not lay on us the burden of having to convert people, but He does call us to speak His Word.
- This involves speaking His law so that people see their sins and their need for a Savior, or in other words warning them about the consequences of their sins.
- This involves speaking His gospel message of forgiveness to those who repent of their sins.
- Not only does this message need to go to the unbelievers, but also to our fellow Christians when they fall into sin (in this case the sin of abortion).
PRAYER: Dear Father in heaven, who does not delight in the death of the wicked, but would have all men to be saved, strengthen us to proclaim Your law and warn those who would continue in their sins. And at this time we especially pray that You would help us to warn those who continue in the sin of abortin. And then, dear Father, work mightily through this Word. Lead those whom we warn to repent of their sins and to turn to You for the comfort of forgiveness and life. We ask this not only that our nation may be cleansed of this hideous sin, but also that people may be warned about the path of destruction they are on, and that You may save them before it is too late. We ask this in the name of Him who died to save all people. Amen.
2 Corinthians 5:18-6:2
- We are ambassadors for Christ. He uses us to proclaim the message that God reconciled the world to Himself through Christ.
- We do this through our pastors and missionaries.
- We are to do this on our own also as we intermingle with the people of this world.
- The Pregnancy Care Centers of our Christian Life Resources ministry offers us an opportunity to do this with many who are in trouble because of a pregnancy.
- Perhaps we have friends or family who have been caught in the sin of adultery or abortion (or some other sin). We are Christ’s ambassadors to them also.
PRAYER: O merciful and gracious God in heaven, slow to anger, abounding in love and faithfulness, maintaining love to thousands and forgiving wickedness, rebellion and sin, we thank You for the mercy You bestowed on us through Your Son Jesus Christ. As He has now called us to be His ambassadors to this world, so use us to bring Your message of peace to those around us. Bless those who work in our pregnancy care centers as they get this message out to those who come to them. Grant that this message may reach out to more people so that they will not sin by killing their children and so that they may know the joy of forgiveness. Strengthen each of us so that we will take more seriously the duty of ambassador which You have given to us. We ask this for the sake of Him who died for us and gave to us forgiveness and peace. Amen.
2 Timothy 2:1-4
- As a nation we are sinning against God with our laws permitting abortion and all the abortions that are committed under the guise of legality.
- Our rulers are not serving us faithfully in this area.
- Paul encourages us to pray for our leaders — that includes our President, our legislative bodies, and our judges.
- It was through our judges that abortion was legalized and through our representatives that this had not yet been corrected. Therefore they need our prayers that they may again return justice to our land.
- We want our rulers to promote justice so that we may live peaceable lives in our nation, and so we may be more free to spread the good news of Jesus to all people.
PRAYER: O Lord of the nations, Ruler of the universe, You have given authority to the governments of this world for the purpose of ruling over the people. We pray for these rulers that they would act responsibly in their positions over us. Lead the leaders of our nation to again restore justice for the unborn, who are being oppressed and killed. Be with our President as he speaks out against abortion. Be with our legislators as they consider laws that would protect the life of all people, whether unborn or elderly or handicapped. Be with our judges so that they will be Your representatives and not usurp Your place when it comes to deciding life or death situations. Forgive us for the sin of abortion which we as a nation are committing. Lead us to turn away from this sin and any sins which are a stench to You. Help Your church to be a light to our nation and all nations, so that people everywhere may turn to You the only true God and be saved. We asked this so that Your name may be hallowed among all people. In Jesus’ name, we pray. Amen.
NOTE: To be used with A Prayer Service
May 4, 2018
August 31, 2017